Tuesday 25 May 2010

A lively day

Today started with an early morning crow* down the chimney at 6am - perfectly timed with my alarm (most considerate). After chasing him out, Puffin** and I hopped in the car at 7am to drop her off with T and S and their canine/feline/equine family.

Then onwards to Haywards Heath, where I ditched the car and jumped onto the train, then the tube and was at my desk in Hammersmith by 9.10am (20 minutes early, to make up for being 20 minutes late yesterday). A productive day working in a building I've now been paid to write in for 3 different agencies.

Today involved lots of writing about a new drug to help with the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. My job was to turn fairly some dry, clinical copy into something a little more empathetic and human. I enjoyed the work, and it was nice to work alongside a bunch of people I hadn't seen since last summer (apart from yesterday - it was a 2-day gig). Lots of sniggery banter going on, while I always enjoy.

Then... back on the tube to Victoria station, where I found all the trains in complete disarray due to 'a body on the line' at East Croydon.

Now, don't think me unsympathetic (and yes, here's the) but... I think suicide is a selfish option most of the time (except perhaps, for people so mentally unwell that they know not what they do). Doing so in a way that you know will disrupt tens of thousands of people - all just trying to get home to loved ones at the end of the day - well, that pushes you from 'selfish' to 'spiteful' in my book. But who knows what the story was...

Just short of 3 hours later, I picked Puffin up and gratefully drove home. Arriving home about 40 minutes ago***. Total time spent working today - 7.5 hours. Total time spent traveling - 5.5 hours. Thank God I don't have to do it every day.

* Number 6 in the last couple of months or so. More on this another time.
** Definitely more on her another time.
*** Oh yes, I am most definitely enjoying a glass of wine as I type this.

1 comment:

Ah g'wan...