Thursday 26 November 2009

A silent start

I awoke with a start in the night, a millisecond before the power went out. I just had time to think 'Whaaa..?" then

*BANG CRASH RUMBLE*


Holy mother of God, either a juggernaut has crashed into downstairs or there's one hell of a storm going on, I thought in the darkness, my heart beating a little faster than it usually is at 2am.

I got up to find the torch (no easy business in the pitch black with no contacts in). (Note to self, having a torch that isn't quite where you think it is, is a million miles away from having a torch that is definitely where you think it is). And thinking about it, it would have made bugger all difference if I had had contacts in. But I digress...

Then lightning almost blinded me. It was like Hollywood lightning - everything flashed up bright white, brighter than I can ever remember seeing it before. Then...

*BANG CRASH RUMBLE GGRRRRR RUUUUUUUMBLE*

Think Thor in a really bad mood, beating a gong the size of France. Then belching the belch of a thousand years. Magnificent!

I took in several rounds of this by candlelight (still hadn't found the torch). It took about 10 minutes for the storm to sound slightly further away (i.e. not directly above the cottage or about to knock on the door and invite itself in.) Then the fridge buzzed back on again. I blew out the candle and went back to bed, having rather enjoyed the entertainment.

1 comment:

Ah g'wan...